THE MONASTERY OF POLIRONE
was founded in 1007 on the island that stood between the Po and Lirone river by Tedald of Canossa, transforming an earlier basilica that he himself had commissioned. In 1077, in the midst of the Investiture Controversy, Matilda of Canossa donated the monastery to Pope Gregory VII, who entrusted it to the abbot Hugh of Cluny, making it one of the most important centres of the Gregorian reform. Between 1110 and 1115, Matilda gave numerous donations to the monastery and stated that she wanted to be buried there. Her remains were kept at the monastery until 1632, when they were transferred to St. Peter’s in Rome.